Cervical cancer - cervical screening (review) (TA69)
NICE has recommended that liquid-based cytology should be used as the main way of preparing samples of cervical cells for cervical screening.
NICE has not recommended one product for liquid-based cytology over another as it says that there is currently not enough information about the advantages and disadvantages of the different products.
This guidance updates and replaces NICE technology appraisal 5 (published in June 2000)
- TA69 Cervical cancer - cervical screening (review): guidance (web format)
- TA69 Cervical cancer - cervical screening (review): summary
- Assessment report: Liquid-based cytology in cervical screening: an updated rapid and systematic review
- NICE guidance on liquid based cytology contributes to modernisation of cervical screening services for women
- Review proposal - July 2007
- Appendix A - matrix of consultees and commentators
- Review decision - October 2007
This page was last updated: 12 February 2014
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- TA69 Defnyddio sytoleg yn seiliedig ar hylif ar gyfer sgrinio serfigol: deall canllawiau NICE
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.