Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children (IPG78)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'structural heart defects'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children.
This procedure is used to treat aortic valve stenosis (narrowing), which may be congenital, or may develop later in life.
Balloon aortic valvuloplasty involves dilatation of the aortic valve orifice using a balloon during cardiac catheterisation. This avoids the need for open chest surgery.
The standard treatment involves open chest surgery to perform a valvotomy, or to replace the valve.
K35.5 Percutaneous transluminal valvuloplasty
Includes: Percutanous transluminal balloon valvuloplasty
Y53.- Approach to organ under image control
Z32.2 Aortic valve
Note: Codes within category Y53.- are used as secondary codes to classify interventions that are percutaneous and require some form of image control: if the method of image control is unspecified, Y53.9 Unspecified approach to organ under image control is assigned.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG78 Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children: guidance (web format)
- IPG78 Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children: guidance
- IPG78 Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children: understanding NICE guidance
- IPG78 Balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis in adults and children: distribution list
- Interventional procedure consultation document - balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis
- Oveview of balloon valvuloplasty for aortic valve stenosis
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: structural heart defects
This page was last updated: 07 January 2014
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG78 Falfoplasti gan ddefnyddio balwn i drin crebachiad yn y falf aortig mewn oedolion a phlant: deall canllawiau NICE
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.