Transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration (IPG58)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'eye conditions '
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on .
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration in June 2004. In accordance with the Interventional Procedures Programme Process Guide, guidance on procedures with special arrangements are reviewed 3 years after publication and the procedure is reassessed if important new evidence is available.
The guidance was considered for reassessment in June 2007 and it was concluded that NICE will not be updating this guidance at this stage. However, if you believe there is new evidence which should warrant a review of our guidance, please contact us via the email address below.
Age-related macular degeneration is the commonest cause of irreversible blindness in developed countries. Transpupillary thermotherapy uses laser energy to coagulate vessels in the wet form of macular degeneration and is intended to alter the disease process and preserve vision.
C88.1 Transpupillary thermotherapy to subretinal lesion
Includes: Transpupillary thermotherapy to retinal lesion
In addition the ICD-10 code H35.3 Degeneration of macula and posterior pole would be recorded.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG58 Transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration: guidance
- IPG58 Transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration: guidance (web format)
- IPG058 Transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration: understanding NICE guidance
- IPG058 Transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration: distribution list
- Interventional procedure consultation document - transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration
- Overview of transpupillary thermotherapy for age-related macular degeneration
- Consent - procedures for which the benefits and risks are uncertain
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: eye conditions
This page was last updated: 06 December 2013
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG58 Thermotherapi trawsganhwyllol ar gyfer dirywiad macwlaidd sy'n gysylltiedig ag oed: deall canllawiau NICE
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.