Computed tomography (CT) guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma (IPG53)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on computed tomography-guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma.
This procedure can be performed under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia and involves the use of CT guidance.
Step one is to localise the lesion with CT. A trephine bone biopsy needle is then introduced into the lesion. The needle (or sometimes a drill) is then used to create an entry hole through the bone. CT is used to monitor the progress of the needle to ensure placement near the tumour.
The core of the lesion is then removed with the inner trephine needle for biopsy, and a radiofrequency electrode probe is introduced into the centre of the nidus. The probe is then heated to 85-90 degrees centrigrade for 4-6 minutes. The whole procedure takes around 90 minutes. After removal of the electrode, patients are scanned by CT to assess the outcome of the procedure.
W09.4 Destruction of lesion of bone NEC
Y13.4 Radiofrequency controlled thermal destruction of lesion of organ NOC
Y53.3 Approach to organ under computed tomography scan control
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG053 Computed tomography (CT) guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma: guidance (web format)
- IPG053 Computed tomography (CT) guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma - guidance
- IPG053 Computed tomography (CT) guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma - information for people considering the procedure, and for the public
- IPG053 Computed tomography (CT) guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma - Distribution list
- Interventional procedure consultation document - Computed tomography-guided thermocoagultion of osteoid osteoma
- Overview of Computed tomography-guided thermocoagulation of osteoid osteoma
This page was last updated: 07 February 2011
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.