Cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses (IPG42)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'ear nose and throat conditions'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on this procedure.
As part of the NICE's work programme, the current guidance was considered for review in May 2009 but did not meet the review criteria as set out in the IP process guide. The guidance below therefore remains current.
Superficial parotid gland surgery may be complicated in about 10%-15% of cases by the development of an abnormal tract (sinus) between the remnants of the parotid gland and the outer surface of the cheek The sinus may have unwanted cosmetic effects, cause excoriation of the cheek and may also cause chronic leakage of saliva.
This procedure involves injecting a solution of lipiodiol and cyanoacrylate via the sinus into the parotid gland, sealing the sinus. The procedure may be repeated.
Other interventions for parotid sinus include watchful waiting, bandaging, radiotherapy, local denervation of the gland or excision of the deep parotid lobe. Excision of the deep lobe risks damaging branches of the facial nerve.
F48.5 Injection of therapeutic substance into salivary gland
Z26.1 Parotid gland
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG042 Cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses - guidance
- IPG042 Cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses: guidance (web format)
- IPG042 Cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses - information for people considering the procedure, and for the public
- IPG042 Cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses, distribution list
- Interventional procedure consultation document - cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses
- Overview of cyanoacrylate instillation for occlusion of parotid sinuses
- Consent - procedures for which the benefits and risks are uncertain
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: ear nose and throat conditions
This page was last updated: 06 February 2014
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.