Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment (IPG417)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'early and locally advanced breast cancer'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment.
Surgical treatment for breast cancer involves either removal of the breast (a mastectomy) or removal of the tumour and some adjacent breast tissue (breast-conserving surgery or lumpectomy). Following mastectomy, many women choose some type of breast reconstruction. However, after breast-conserving surgery, which can produce a significant deformity, very few options are normally offered. This procedure involves taking fat from the abdomen or thighs and injecting it into the breast in the area of the deformity caused by surgery.
B37.5 Lipofilling of breast
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG417 Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment: guidance (web format)
- Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment: consultation comments table
- Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment: equality impact assessment
- Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment - Consultation Document
- Breast reconstruction using lipomodelling after breast cancer treatment - Overview
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: early and locally advanced breast cancer
This page was last updated: 11 October 2012
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG417 Adfer maint a siâp y fron ar ôl llawdriniaeth canser y fron drwy chwistrellu braster y claf ei hun: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.