Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration (IPG415)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'eye conditions '
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration.
Macular degeneration affects the area of the back of the eye that responsible for central vision (the macula). There are two types – ‘dry’ and ‘wet’. The wet form is caused by bleeding from the formation of new blood vessels. Loss of vision is progressive and often rapid.
Radiotherapy has been used in people with wet age-related macular degeneration to treat the new blood vessels growing under the macula. A probe is carefully inserted into the eye through a small incision and radiation therapy used to destroy the new blood vessels. The aim of this procedure is toslow down sight loss or stabilise the patient’s vision.
X65.8 Other specified radiotherapy delivery
Y35.4 Introduction of radioactive substance into organ for brachytherapy NOC
In addition the ICD-10 code H35.3 Degeneration of macula and posterior pole would be recorded.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG415 Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: guidance
- IPG415 Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: guidance (web format)
- IPG415 Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: understanding NICE guidance
- IPG415 Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: understanding NICE guidance (MS Word format)
- Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: EIA form
- Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration: consultation comments table
- Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age-related macular degeneration - Consultation Document
- Epiretinal brachytherapy for wet age related macular degeneration - Overview
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: eye conditions
This page was last updated: 03 December 2013
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG415 Trin dirywiad macwlaidd gwlyb sy'n gysylltiedig â henaint drwy ddefnyddio radiotherapi lleoledig: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.