Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine (IPG357)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine.
It replaces the previous guidance on Laser lumbar discectomy (Interventional Procedures Guidance no. 27 in December 2003).
Discs that act like cushions between the bones of the spine can sometimes get damaged and protrude onto nerves, causing back and leg pain, and numbness and weakness in the leg.
In percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation, a needle is inserted through the outer cover of the disc, into its jelly-like centre. A laser is then inserted through the needle to destroy part of the disc, with the aim of shrinking it.
V52.2 Destruction of intervertebral disc NEC
V55.- Levels of spine
Y08.3 Laser destruction of organ NOC
Y53.1 Approach to organ under radiological control
Z99.3 Intervertebral disc of lumbar spine
Note: Codes within category V55.- are assigned in second place each time a spinal operation is coded. If the levels of spine are not specified V55.9 Unspecified levels of spine is used.
Codes within category Y53.- are used as secondary codes to classify interventions that are percutaneous and require some form of image control, if the method of image control is unspecified Y53.9 Unspecified approach to organ under image control is assigned.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG357 Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine: guidance (web format)
- IPG357 Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine: consultation comments table
- Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine - Consultation Document
- Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine - Overview
- Overview of laser lumbar discectomy
- Interventional procedures consultation document - laser lumbar discectomy
- Consent - procedures for which the benefits and risks are uncertain
This page was last updated: 15 June 2012
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG357 Triniaeth laser ar gyfer niwed i ran isaf yr asgwrn cefn (y meingefn) sy'n achosi poen difrifol: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.