Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer (IPG353)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'renal cancer'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer.
It replaces the previous guidance on Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer (IPG91), September 2004.
Renal cancer is cancer of the kidney. Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer involves placing one or more electrode-needles through the skin into the kidney. The electrodes are placed within the tumour and produce heat, with the aim of destroying the cancer cells.
M13.7 Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of lesion of kidney
Y53.- Approach to organ under image control
Note:Codes within category Y53.-† are used as secondary codes to classify interventions that are percutaneous and require some form of image control: if the method of image control is unspecified, Y53.9 Unspecified approach to organ under image control is assigned.
In addition the ICD-10 code C64.X Malignant neoplasm of kidney, except renal pelvis or C79.0 Secondary malignant neoplasm of kidney and renal pelvis would be recorded.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. ††The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided.† www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG353 Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer: guidance (Web format)
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer: consultation comments table
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer - Interventional Procedures Consultation Document
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer - Interventional Procedures Overview
- Overview of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer
- Interventional procedure consultation document - percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of renal cancer
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: renal cancer
This page was last updated: 07 February 2014
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG353 Trin canser yr arennau ‚ stilwyr ynni radioamledd sy'n mynd drwy'r croen i mewn i'r tiwmor: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.