Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration (IPG339)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'eye conditions '
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Limited macular translocation for wet age related macular degeneration.
NICE has also issued full guidance on Macular translocation with 360° retinotomy for wet age related macular degeneration (Interventional Procedures Guidance no 340).
These replace the previous guidance on Macular translocation for age-related macular degeneration (Interventional Procedures Guidance no. 48, March 2004).
If you wish to be updated to any developments with this procedure, you can express an interest here.
Age-related macular degeneration is an eye disorder that causes problems with central vision (seeing things straight in front of you) and affects the part of the retina (the back of the eye) called the macula. Wet macular degeneration happens because fluid leaks into the area under the macula causing scarring.
The aim of macular translocation is to improve vision. It involves cutting and moving the macula on an a nearby healthier area of the retina.
A small cut is made in the retina to get to the outer layers of the eye. A ‘tuck’ is put into these layers with a stitch so that the macula ends up lying over a different part of the choroid layer. This ‘tuck’ method is called limited macular translocation.
C83.3 Limited macular translocation
Includes: Macular translocation NEC
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. ††The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided.† www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG339 Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration: guidance (web format)
- Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration - Consultation Document
- IPG339 Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration: guidance
- IPG339 Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration: audit support
- IPG339 Limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration: consultation comments
- Overview of limited macular translocation for wet age-related macular degeneration
- Interventional procedure consultation document - macular translocation for age-related macular degeneration
- Consent - procedures for which the benefits and risks are uncertain
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: eye conditions
This page was last updated: 03 December 2013
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG339 Trin dirywiad macwlaidd gwlyb sy'n gysylltiedig √ henaint drwy ail-leoli rhan o'r macwla √ phwyth: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.