Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions (IPG335)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'colorectal cancer'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions.
This procedure can be used to treat superficial colon lesions. The procedure involves inserting a long camera (colonoscope) through the anus as far as the caecum. A solution is injected submucosally to raise the area affected by the lesion, which is resected endoscopically. The aim of the procedure is to fully remove the lesion without the need open surgery, and to obtain a good quality sample for histological examination.
One of the following OPCS-4 codes is selected:
H20.5 Endoscopic submucosal resection of lesion of colon
H23.5 Endoscopic submucosal resection of lesion of lower bowel using fibreoptic sigmoidoscope
H26.6 Endoscopic submucosal resection of lesion of sigmoid colon using rigid sigmoidoscope
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions (interventional procedures overview)
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions (interventional procedures consultation)
- IPG335 Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions: guidance (web format)
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions - Overview
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: colorectal cancer
This page was last updated: 08 August 2012
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG335 Tynnu meinwe annormal o wal y coluddyn isaf drwy ddefnyddio endosgop a chyllell wedi'i phoethi'n drydanol - deall canllawiau NICE
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- Audit support
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of lower gastrointestinal lesions: consultation comments
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.