Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation (IPG309)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'chronic heart failure'
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'structural heart defects'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation.
Mitral regurgitation occurs when the mitral valve does not close properly, allowing blood to leak backwards. This can lead to shortness of breath and the heart may be unable to pump enough blood to the rest of the body. During percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair, a catheter is inserted through the skin via a large vein in the groin or neck and passed through to the heart. The two leaflets of the mitral valve are partially clipped or sewn together to reduce the amount of blood leaking backwards.
K35.8 Other specified percutaneous transluminal operations on valve of heart
Y07.2 Clipping of cavity of organ NOC (if clips are used)
Y53.4 Approach to organ under fluoroscopic control
Z32.1 Mitral valve
Note: U20.2Transoesophageal echocardiography is also assigned when transoesophageal echocardiography (TOE) is used during the procedure.
Note: Codes within category Y53.- are used as secondary codes to classify interventions that are percutaneous and require some form of image control: if the method of image control is unspecified, Y53.9 Unspecified approach to organ under image control is assigned.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG309 Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation: guidance (web format)
- Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation(interventional procedures second consultation)
- Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation (interventional procedures second overview)
- Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation (consultation comments table)
- Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation (interventional procedures consultation)
- Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation (interventional procedures overview)
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
This page was last updated: 08 January 2014
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG309 Trwsio dalennau meitrol wedi'i lywio gan ddelweddau ar gyfer adlifo meitrol: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- IPG309 Percutaneous mitral valve leaflet repair for mitral regurgitation: consultation comments table - second consultation
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.