Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal masses (IPG254)
Fast, easy summary view of NICE guidance on 'lung cancer'
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration for mediastinal masses.
This procedure can be used for patients who are being tested for various diseases, including lung cancer. Under local or general anaesthesia, a thin flexible telescope (bronchoscope) is inserted via the patient's mouth into the lungs. Images of the region between the two lungs (the mediastinum) are obtained using an ultrasound probe attached to the bronchoscope. The operator uses these images as a guide when taking samples of cells from masses suspected of disease. The aim of the procedure is to help reach a diagnosis and establish whether the disease has spread.
E63.2 Endobronchial ultrasound examination of mediastinum
Note: Use a supplementary code for concurrent biopsy of mediastinal lymph node (T87.4)
T87.4 Excision or biopsy of mediastinal lymph node
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG254 Endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal metastases: guidance (web format)
- Endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal metastases: Consultation comments table
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal masses (interventional procedures consultation)
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal masses (interventional procedures overview)
This guidance has been incorporated into the following NICE Pathways, along with other related guidance and products.
Visit the NICE Pathway: lung cancer
This page was last updated: 29 March 2012
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG254 Defnyddio broncosgôp wedi'i lywio ag uwchsain i gymryd samplau meinwe o'r ardal rhwng yr ysgyfaint: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.