Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening (IPG197)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening in December 2006. In accordance with the Interventional Procedures Programme Process Guide, guidance on procedures with special arrangements are reviewed 3 years after publication and the procedure is reassessed if important new evidence is available.
The guidance was considered for reassessment in November 2010 and it was concluded that NICE will not be updating this guidance at this stage. However, if you believe there is new evidence which should warrant a review of our guidance, please contact us via the email address below.
Intramedullary skeletal distraction uses nail like devices that consist of two interlocking sections fixed to the bone which move away from one another to produce kinetic force along the axis of a bone which stimulates osteogenesis
W17.8 Other specified other reconstruction of bone
Y02.1 Implantation of prosthesis into organ NOC
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening: guidance (web format)
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening - guidance
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening - information for the public
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening - information for the public (MS Word format)
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening: Audit criteria
- IPG197 Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening - consultation comments table
- Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening (interventional procedures consultation)
- Intramedullary distraction for lower limb lengthening (interventional procedures overview)
This page was last updated: 11 February 2011
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG197 Ymestyn esgyrn coesau gan ddefnyddio ymyriad mewnferol: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
See this guidance in practice
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.