Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel (IPG178)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel.
Ultrasonic scalpel tonsillectomy is typically performed under general anaesthetic. This procedure uses ultrasonic energy to simultaneously dissect through tissues and seal blood vessels. Tissues are cut by a disposable blade, which vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency thereby cutting the tissue. This vibration also transfers energy to the tissue, thereby leading to coagulation, and through this achieving haemostasis. The temperature caused by the vibration is around 55–100ºC and is lower than by other hot methods such as diathermy or lasers.
F34.1 Bilateral dissection tonsillectomy
Y11.5 Ultrasonic destruction of organ NOC
Note: Use a supplementary code for concurrent excision of adenoid (E20.1Total adenoidectomy Includes: Excision of adenoid and adenoidectomy or E20.4 Suction diathermy adenoidectomy).
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG178 Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel - guidance
- IPG178 Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel - guidance (web format)
- IPG178 Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel - information for the public
- IPG178 Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel - information for the public (Word)
- IPG178 Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel - consultation comments tables and responses
- Tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel (interventional procedure consultation)
- Interventional procedures overview - tonsillectomy using ultrasonic scalpel
No last updated information available: null | false
- Web format
- Full Guidance (PDF)
- IPG178 Tonsilectomi gan ddefnyddio fflaim uwchsonig: deall canllawiau NICE (fformat MS Word)
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.