Image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions (IPG156)
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has issued full guidance to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions.
This process can be used to remove completely benign breast lesions for example fibroadenomas. It uses a needle probe device with vacuum suction to remove breast tissue under imaging guidance (commonly ultrasound). The aim of the procedure is to continue using the biopsy device until the lesion visible on imaging is removed.
B28.3 Excision of lesion of breast NEC
Y06.6 Vacuum excision of lesion of organ NOC
Includes: Vacuum assisted excision of lesion of organ NOC
Y53.- Approach to organ under image control
Note: Codes within category Y53.- are used as secondary codes to classify interventions that are percutaneous and require some form of image control: if the method of image control is unspecified, Y53.9 Unspecified approach to organ under image control is assigned.
The NHS Classifications Service of NHS Connecting for Health is the central definitive source for clinical coding guidance and determines the coding standards associated with the classifications (OPCS-4 and ICD-10) to be used across the NHS. The NHS Classifications Service and NICE work collaboratively to ensure the most appropriate classification codes are provided. www.connectingforhealth.co.uk/clinicalcoding
- IPG156 Image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions - guidance (web format)
- IPG156 Image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions - guidance
- IPG156 Image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions - information for the public
- Interventional procedure consultation document - Image-guided vacuum-assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions (second consultation)
- Interventional procedures consultation document - image-guided vacuum-assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions (first consultation)
- Interventional procedures overview of image-guided vacuum assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions
No last updated information available: null | false
Information for the public
Implementation tools and resources
- None available
The summary of the key recommendations in the guidance written for patients, carers and those with little medical knowledge and may be used in local patient information leaflets.
Quick Reference Guide
The quick reference guide presents recommendations for health professionals
The published NICE clinical guidance, contains the recommendations for health professionals and NHS bodies.
The published full clinical guidance for specialists with background, evidence, recommendations and methods used.